VerdiGras: Share your ideas. Please blog your inspiration for a greener, cleaner Mardi Gras.

Posted on September 5th, 2011

Posted in not categorized    Tagged with no tags

6 Comments

Dera DeRoche-Jolet - January 8th, 2012 at 7:22 AM
Love this idea. I too love Mardi Gras! But it has gone to trash. I'd rather go home empty handed then bring that trash into my home.
Your ideas are right and timely. Over the past15 or so years the products coming out of China that America is buying is trash. And we are paying dearly for those products. Take a look at the label, compare products and then look at the price tag. Products made out of these United States are made inferior and cost more. There was a time when domestic items were more, the tides are changing again. Buy American Made! Be American Proud!
Mrs.Stephanie Danielle Gustavson - August 19th, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Yeah Dera! Thought you said you knew nothing about how to blog!! Go Go Ra Rah Girl!!
So Right!

EstherStephanada!
Ken LaDell - January 10th, 2012 at 8:00 PM
My wife and I attended Mardi Gras last year on our bicycles. We were staying in Mandeville and parked our car near City Park - miles from the congested areas. It was an easy and fun ride down to the parade route. I believe many people would bike to Mardi Gras if they felt their bike would not be stolen. I believe a few bike 'corrals' near the parade routes and in the French Quarter would be very popular (with attendants to watch the bikes). http://bikeeasy.org/projects/bicycle-valet/

Also, I agree that you need some good ideas. I was thinking that kids might be a good source. What about a contest for school children?

Good luck on this very worthwhile project.

Ken
Dave - February 15th, 2012 at 9:33 PM
A couple of ideas, if I had money I might try them myself: make beads out of candy - sweet, good to eat, and bio-degradable; put out a few beads with a marking you can only read in black light or something - those beads are worth big cash prizes or something - but you have to take your beads to a recycler to get them read to see if you win
Jennifer - February 16th, 2012 at 10:23 AM
As a kid, I would pick up the beads and sell them back to the Krewes, sorted together by colors and by dozens. It was a great way to teach a kid about recycling and business!
Larry - February 16th, 2012 at 10:33 AM
But....but....but....How we gonna know how successful the Carnival season was, by weighing all da garbage, if we don't leave it in the streets ?? ( wink....wink )

Seriously, y'all got a good concept going. Some up-and-coming big wig will pick up on this soon, and go with it.